Sunday 1 May 2016

Weather the Weather Whether or Not You Want To

I am bored. I am soooooooo bored. I am bored of weather delays. Last week’s European Tour action was delayed by weather, but frankly, that pales in to insignificance compared to what I'm being forced to endure this week. Round 1. Weather delays, completed on Friday. Round 2, weather delays, completed on Saturday. And guess what happened in Round 3? Ha! Caught you, Round 3 ran through smoothly and completed on time. GOT YOU AGAIN! Round 3 is, as expected is currently suspended.

Whilst I sound a bit whiney here, I understand that it is irresponsible to do golfing in “inclement” weather, i.e. giant lightning storms. I also don’t expect the PGA Tour officials to do anything other than attempt to get players out during any intervals, but it doesn't stop me from being bored. And stupid.

The other week I wrote of a bet on Nico Rosberg, who I keep tipping up to my chums, but I never really seem to back. Had I had the foresight to continuously back Nico I would probably be rich at the moment. The 11/8 second favourite came in to 2/5 favouritism before the race today, due to some stunning qually times, another power unit problem for Hammers and a penalty for Vettel.

This put Nico on the front row with Bottas. I part-fancied the Finn to do well here, so had £5 on him at 16s, just for a bit of interest. That didn’t look too bad for a while, with Valteri holding off Lewis well, but after the pits he came out behind Raikkonen and my race was well and truly run.

Nico cruised to a comfortable victory and I was beside myself with envy at what could have been. It seems inevitable that he will continue to crush the life out of everyone on the circuit, so future lumping will be heading in his direction. Having said that, unlike most other sports cruising to a win in F1 actually means very little coverage of you will be shown on TV. I mean, who wants to watch lap after lap of perfectly executed apexes and breaking? The coverage normally consists of those mid table constructors, jostling for position, points and perhaps podiums. With Vettel out of the race Kimi was free to cruise to 3rd, and my money went awry. Oh well, I was bored once Lewis overtook him.

The snooker now is also boring. After a thoroughly exhilarating semi-final, which saw Mr Harrow’s exceptional punting thrown out the window with his failure to lay off. Picture the scene, £5 each way on Fu at 80s. Fu gets in to the semis somehow, and is up against World Number 1, Selby. After a very scrappy match, Fu started to look the stronger of the two. This was the opportune moment to back Selby. £100 on the Jester at that point would have guaranteed Mr Harrow £100 profit, as, if Fu progressed to the final, the each way was in, which would return £200. But the hedging was denied, and Fu failed to win.

The final thus far has been a thoroughly unenjoyable and boring affair. So you know, boring.

Football has less than no interest for me, so all of these people rooting for some team from the East Midlands is frankly boring.

The European Tour golfing has been happening at abhorrent hours at the moment whilst I've been asleep which kind of makes it boring.

Fortunately to cut through the boredom I have hope. Hope in Hoffman, hope in Aiken, and hope in Horschel, hope in Tringale, who, at the time of writing, are 3, 5, 6 and 6 shots off the lead respectively. Thankfully, I did not back Justin Rose who missed the 36 hole cut at some point on Saturday. I also did not back Rickie or Day, and I couldn't be less bothered.


I am, however, bored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment