Sunday 22 May 2016

Dabble on the Double

I like Kjeldson. But I hate Kjeldson. This vernacular is something I often use when describing a close friend. I can't bring myself to annex this person completely, but I can hate him, and at the same time occasionally like him. This is how Soren Kjeldson is making me feel. I hate him because he is refusing to live up to the standards that I expect him. I like him because he's just so friendly and likeable and every now and then does some good golfery, however this just seems to serve to infuriate me when he plays like an idiot. After a fairly solid three under on the first day, Soren decided to celebrate by dashing my hopes with a brace of 74s, a total of four over for his second and third rounds. Having backed Kjeldson in play I neglected to take advantage of each way terms, so Soren has an almost incomprehensible task to make me some money today, probably setting a new world record. 

But I've moved on. Soren isn't going to do it. The other person that didn't do it is Andy Sullivan. Around the same time that I backed Kjeldson, I read that Andy had recently (the day before) had a child, and on that day would be turning 30. Using the news of the newly arrived child I quickly applied the Willett theory and backed Sullivan. I'm ashamed to say I became a little frenzied in this endeavour and it wasn't until I had the bet on that my heart decided to calm down. Sullivan had evidently decided that my heart should calm down so much that it stopped, in order for me to die, as he carded two 75s to miss the cut. Perhaps he wanted to spend time with his newborn. Or maybe he was hungover. Or both. 

Thankfully, things are going significantly better across the pond. When I say significantly what I mean is somewhat. The primary result of the formula was Kuchar who currently sits in T3. Kuch is playing well and with plenty of self confidence, my fingers are crossed and I know that this evening my heart will be beating. I'm also trying to rationalise a feeling that -16, which is currently the lead, isn't the actual lead. Whilst Koepka is a powerhouse, and is not up for a maiden win, having bagged one last year, taking home the Phoenix Open Trophy, he has come in to this tournament in a spate of missed cuts and Top 25 finishes, all without really contending on the last day. The T5 in the WGC Match Play doesn't really count to me because....C'est la Match Play and it's not the same. I'm in no doubt that this absolute beater of the ball will win again soon, but I don't think this is his week. I therefore do not credit him as leading, and see the lead as -14. In my mind at least this means that my chap is no worse than one shot behind, and as the tournament doesn't really start until the back nine on Sunday, we are well poised to strike. Even if Koepka does hold up, three behind is nothing, and holding the 54 hole lead is much harder than chasing it. 

Dufner is a few back and Hoffman somehow managed to go backwards on Saturday. The other chaps somehow managed to miss the cut, so DeLaet. Palmer, Bradley, Piercy and Affrunti will bear no fruit for me this week. 
I have decided to have a small reload this week, to open up the opportunities, and have had a double on Willett and Garcia. Both chaps are three off the lead (and we know what I think about Koepka). Willett shook the rust off at the Players last week and is now back to contend. A disappointing four shot swing in round three means that his price has drifted out to a luscious 6/1 and Garcia looks tasty being in theory only one shot behind, and priced at 9/1. It is however World Numbers 2 and 3 that cause me problems. Mcilroy has not won since May last year. This is good for me. It means that he may struggle. The psychological aspect of Mcilroy’s game is not evident lately, and the 54 hole lead is a precarious thing. The mentality seems to be to go out and play defensive golf, make fairways, greens and pars. However, this usually comes unwrapped, somewhere around the 11th hole, or perhaps later, with a mistake or two, putting the leader amongst the chasing pack.

From here, it is very hard to change to an attacking manner of play, and the lead is often lost. This could easily happen to Mcilroy. The reason that he worries me however is his name. As Willett looks at the leader board and sees one of the biggest names in golf, he may start to get a little unnerved. Let’s hope that this is not the case, and that he is able to triumph. At the Masters, Mcilroy was ahead of him going in to the last round, and it seemed to have little effect there, and I trust that it will be repeated here.

Sergio Garcia has not won on the PGA Tour since 2012. How strange it seems to say that. He won in Europe in 2014, and Asia in 2015, but his PGA Tour success is lacking some more glass-ware at the moment. A slip down the world rankings sees him in 15th, compared to his best when he was in 2nd! Garcia can easily conquer this three shot deficit, (or one shot), and could find himself lifting the Byron Nelson trophy after a twelve year vacancy. Jordan Spieth is the worry here. Sort of. The reason for the worry is the same reason as Mcilroy, his name. Spieth could do almost anything tomorrow, and everyone will be aware of that. Thankfully, so far, his ball striking has left a whole lot to be desired. Even with his long irons he has been dramatically off line, and this could plague him coming down the stretch.

The dynamic duos double pays 69/1. This represents excellent value considering that Willett is in second place, and Sergio is only one off the lead (in a sense).

I will be tuning in to the European action shortly, and the PGA action later, and if I lose you will be able to read my obituary in tomorrow’s paper. Or perhaps Tuesday’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment