Monday 21 March 2016

Day's Day and another Dalliance With Water

Well bugger, Woofing water. The H2NO campaign recruits yet more powerful propaganda. But more on that later.

Coming down the last hole in the Indian Open, Anirban Lahiri had a solid chance for the win. Chawrasia had played some simply unbelievable golf this week, but I still fancied the reigning champion to pip him at the post.

Chawrasia second shot on the 18th was woeful. A nervy lay-up resulting in a duck hook that could have ended up even worse than it was. The lovely Lahiri just had to put his ball in the middle of the green. But no, he blasted one just shy of the grandstand.

I still fancied my man to do the job.

Chawrasia then presumably channelled the spirit of Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of prosperity. A miraculous shot to 5 foot was spectacular, and fully deserving of the win. Lahiri failed to channel the Hindu Goddess to his side, He could not chip in from a great lie in the lay up area to force Chawrasia to birdie, nor could he convert the up and down to force Chawrasia to two putts for the play off. The channelling Chawrasia now had two putts for the win, and three for the play off, but one would suffice. A well-deserved win, but I still hated him from preventing me from gaining further fortune.

That wasn't really of huge consequence though, as even though I had a small win wager on Lahiri, at 8s with BetBright, the real money was on the double with the previously auspicious Aussie, Adam Scott. £5ew at 7s and 8s with 365 was unfortunately not to be, thanks to the nonsense water at 18. One of the most viciously carved holes in golf, and a pin position to rival the brutality of the Gestapo, combined with harsh weather conditions, was too much for my previously conquering man from down under.

Plop.

In to the water.

Five under for the day, and on a serious charge, and it was all ruined. Another poor shot from the drop zone put Scott in the sand. An abhorrent plugged lie in the now damp sand left Adam only able to play on to the green, and away from the hole. A swift two putt later, and triple bogeyness ensued, bother.

However, come the final day, Day was winning. £7 at 16s with Betvictor before the tournament was a best investment of the week. I still have other live each way fancies. Rose, Casey and Leishman had all showed promise for some return on my investments. I, however, fancied the destructive Day man to continue. I reloaded with £120 on day at 4/5 with BetFair.

A quiet day at the office meant that I was able to basically watch everything up until 8pm. It was going absolutely horribly. I am incapable of watching golf in front of people when it isn't going well. I go mental. I want to hit things when my guys are doing poorly and jump up and down when it's going well and I can't really do that at work or in front of my family.

I decided to forego watching the remainder of the golf at home, and went to the pub instead. Before I left, I watched something miraculous. From a poor drive, Jason stiffed his second from 168 on the 9th for a tap in birdie. From there on in, I felt assured of the win. I decided to not watch or follow the remainder of the golf until I thought it was over.

Therapeutic as it was, drinking pints in the pub, a part of me still felt tense. A shocking cadre of karaoke was giving me a tension headache, as was not watching the golf. Oh well. Many pints later I checked the scores.

Daycakes had done it. According to the remaining holes it was a narrow thing, with a birdie on the 17th, and Chappell bogeying the 18th giving Day the lead, which he held down the 18th. I have since watched the highlights, and I'm glad I didn't watch in real time. I think I would have had an actual heart attack.
As I said before the tournament, Day's Day was not done, and he has risen, victorious, with a wire to wire win, at the Arnold Palmer.

£208 of profit from betting on Day sets me up well, for the upcoming Masters.

No other funds were made from any of the each way heroes, but the match play is next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment