Thursday 2 June 2016

Remembering the Memorial

I am not betting on the golf this week, as promised.

I am however still obsessed, and am being asked about it. I also have to place bets for people, meaning that the temptation is constant. Like Jesus however, I will resist. Unlike Jesus in every other way I am on holiday. A holiday of sorts. Two nights away by the seaside. Being consumed with golf means that I am itching to play. I was close to convincing Mrs Golfing Greg to play mini golf, before she realised that it was just putting. She then decided that we were going to play crazy golf. Jurassic Park themes crazy golf is an acceptable alternative for putting.

Before the game began however I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not to be giving any instruction or assistance with the putting stroke. Why this is I do not know, but I imagine it was due to the sometimes less than understanding teaching methods. I stayed true to this request (for the most part), and we enjoyed a gale-y game of golf. The razor like astro-turf was running about a 22 on the stint meter, and the distraction of impending attack from a Velociraptor posing as a rules official proved stressful, and my short game was not up to scratch.

The 120 Yard course boasted tough pin positions, a strong parkland style layout, strict tight bridge fairways and punishing thick astro turf. The edges of the holes were lined with thick dense bricks which hugged balls that approached at an angle. The game was a tense affair, with shots lost to nervy putting and slight undulations. All holes were benefited by top green to green action and accuracy was a must. Solid ball striking was waylaid by the somewhat low quality balls and putters. Many holes featured options off the tee, with some heavily angled doglegs. We were slowed by a six ball in front of us which served to cool off the killer instinct come 18.

I had a five shot lead walking up to the last. It was a short straight hole, which angled 45 degrees upwards, the pin placed three quarters up the up-slope. Thanks to some extreme improvement Mrs GG had the honour on 18, and promptly made a hole in one to force the pressure on to me. It took me four shots to nail the win. The first was the best putt, lacking only a little pace. A little pile-up after the 6 ball ahead meant there was a small crowd around the 18th tee. After my second putt there was some amusement in the crowd, but after my third when I swiftly started swearing meant that some children's ears were covered. I suppose they aren't used to people playing golf to my standard.

A one shot victory felt hollow, but was a victory nonetheless. I wondered how the professionals felt when they narrowly won a golfery tournament, almost losing it down the last, and my thoughts turned to the up coming golf this weekend, and what a weekend we are set up for. The top three in the betting are the top three in the world and all won on their last time out. The top five in the world are taking part in this tournament, and it looks set to rock Memorial.

Jason Day is the tournament favourite with good reason. World Number 1 has been crushing it lately and loves being on a roll. With his success rate at the moment backing him at anything better than 3/1 is basically a value must and 13/2 is huge. (was huge). Day overcame the best field in golf at the Players, and finally has a chance to perform in front of family and friends at his adopted home.

People might try and tell you that Spieth and Mcilroy are problems for Day this week but don't let them. All three have won in their last appearances. This is a wonderous thing. It means that the top three world ranked players in golf are all in top form. It means we could be set for a huge showdown. In my opinion it does not mean that. As mentioned Day prevailed against the best field in Golf. The other two, did not. Rory prevailed against a mediocre European Tour field, which he should always beat. Spieth notched a confidence builder against a stagnant PGA tour field, finishing birdie birdie birdie to take the lead over a fairly sub standard field.

Day's victory therefore carries more weight than the other two. Bubba Watson hasn't done anything since having a bad week at the Masters, and Rickie threw away a 54 hole lead not long ago. Kuchar is still in the form of his life and will be my only other pick this week.

FYI the golf has started so sorry about that,

No comments:

Post a Comment