Monday 6 June 2016

Choking Under the Pressure

I continued to not bet this weekend. I thought that I was going to find it very difficult for some time. Given that Matthew Fitzpatrick, someone I like very much was playing well, and Kuchar, who I tipped on Friday (Wednesday really) was looking fairly imperious, I was starting to get quite annoyed. Day was also throwing his chances away left, right but not really centre, and this would have sent me spiralling around in disappointment. Thankfully I am empathetic enough to be able to put myself in the shoes that I may have been in, had I had a bet.

I would not have backed Fitzpatrick. As much as I love the 21 year old Sheffieldian, he would not have topped my list. Since the Masters his form has read woefully, and he missed the cut in Sweden last year. I fancied Westwood a bit, but the way he left me feeling the week before, I wouldn’t have gone near him. I don’t even know who I would have backed in the end, so, you know, whatever.

I would, however have picked Kuchar, and Jason Day at the Memorial. It’s possible I would have had sizeable lumps on each of them, given their short prices at the beginning of the tournament. Both were well positioned after the first day. Kuch performed on day two and Day didn’t. Day three was woeful with little ground made by anyone, and then a weather delay (booooore) with Day finishing just before with a shocking double bogey, and Kuch finishing after the delay with a bogey, bringing the field closer together.

There were twenty something players within five shots of the lead, and as coverage started on Sunday, all hell was set to break loose. Mickelson was coming through the field, as was Mcilroy. Day unfortunately decided to go backwards. Feeling as though I had had a bet, this started to make me feel prickly. Coupled with the poor quality of the coverage, I started to feel a bit agitated. It was suggested that if I find the coverage frustrating that I don’t watch it, which was met with a burning look. Kuchar then started to cruise. He was sharing the lead with three others at one point, and one by one they all fell apart. DJ bottled in classic style and his putting started to desert him again. This was somewhat surprising as I had only recently remarked to father that I felt this could finally be DJ’s week. The US Open beckons and it is time for a confidence boost, DJ choked last year and needs to get over that. Perhaps next week will be his. Gary Woodland’s short game wasn’t up to the pressure, and he got wooden over everything, and I imagine he’d have rather been a tree. Then Kuch dropped one, and was back in a tie for 1st, with William Mcgirt. Mcgirt has never won the PGA, or the Web.com, and should not have provided any threat to 7 time winner, course expert Kuchar.

Then there was another buggering weather delay. The rules say that the players have to come off the course for at least an hour before the situation can be assessed again, which meant that I was resigned to reflecting on my decision to not bet this week. And to the washing up. And to getting hungry. And general boredom. I was starting to regret not having a bet on Kuchar. I would currently be counting my many millions, and wondering how to correctly thank the man for the winnings. Perhaps I would write to him. He doesn’t appear to have twitter, which means that a more heartfelt display of affection would be necessary. I have previously mused on commissioning flags to celebrate, but this wouldn’t be enough for Kuchar. I would have to open a wing of a hospital, and name it in his honour. Realistically I would have hardly been able to afford a memorial (see what I did there) bench on the local golf course, but one can dream. Thai food on the way, crockery drying on the rack, the golf resumed.

For some reason, even though this happens every year, the quality of the coverage when resuming from a weather delay is the wrong side of good. It’s unprecedentedly disjointed. No one seems to have any clue about what’s going on, and before I knew it, Kuchar was taking his fourth from the middle of the fairway. He would have to knock this in to make par. He did not. He made double. Form nowhere. He was in the fairway bunker off the tee. No problem. Experienced pros know to take their medicine, get out of the bunker and hope to make par, but settle for bogey. Kuch’s first did not make it out of the bunker, and now it seemed my heart was tied to his fate. He would be ok however, as there was a par 5 next, which he would pick apart with precision tee to green action and solid putting. Laying up in a strong position, Kuch looked set to attack the final par 5. He knocked it over the back. The wind was well up and there was nothing that could have been done about it. He then knifed the shot out of the rough, over to the other side of the green.

This was not good. This is something that I am disappointed about when I do, so I cannot imagine how he had felt. Kuch was choking. I was choking. A beansprout had become stuck in my throat, which is why my eyes were watering. Kuch then made bogey, to cement his fate. I was crushed. How could he have come so close so many times recently, have a grip on the title, and let it slip? Has he really lost his killer instinct, or is he simply saving it? I hope for the latter, but err to the former. Kuch is a world class act, and even though 7 wins on the PGA is a lot, and more than 80 top ten finishes if phenomenal, there is a note of under-performance in his history. He is in the midst of some of the best form anyone has ever heard of, but this could be the end of it. Circumstances outside of his control could be blamed for his failure to win before this week, but now there is no doubt that it was in his grasp, and he let it go. I then decided to be quite smug about not having had a bet this week. Had I backed Kuch, and had he just done that, I would have found the golf course in which Kuchar’s bench would have been, and would have razed it to the ground. I would have turned it in to wasteland. Towering infernos would have been spotted from the International Space Station, and flights all around the globe would have been grounded as my wrath was felt throughout the stratosphere. I would have been in a murderous rage, which would likely not have subsided any time shortly. When Curran and Mcgirt started the play off, I would have opted for Curran. He has shown some form in recent weeks, whereas Mcgirt has not been on my radar. I would have used excessive force and lumped impressively on the 29 year old with all my worth. This would have led to further losses and further rage.


The UN would have had to call an emergency peace committee to stop me, and even then I would not have been happy. Had I bet this week, I think I would be typing this in my own head, in a strait jacket and a padded cell, whilst the butterflies fluttered through my eyes, and I burnt them to crisps with my fiery hatred. Thankfully, a promise made not to bet has allowed me to keep my somewhat tenuous grip on sanity, for this week at least. Luckily, Kuchar is not out next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment